Tech: GeForce GTX Titan Benchmarks: Real-World Gaming Performance
GeForce GTX Titan vs. MSI GTX 680 Lightning vs. HIS 7970 X. I also share some of my thoughts on the Titan, and I’d love to hear yours, too.
Livestream: CES 2013 NVIDIA Press Conference
Live from Los Vegas at the 2013 International Consumer Electronic Show on Sunday January 6 at 8pm PST will be the NVIDIA Press Conference.
You can watch it right here on our livestream. On January 7 we’ll have plenty more CES 2013 conferences that you can watch on that page as well.
Gamers Worldwide Prepare for Record-Breaking Marathon LAN Party
LAN Party gaming will reach a new level during a Guinness World Record-setting attempt at the NVISION 08 event on August 25 in San Jose, California. The aim of the event is to make history as the world’s “Longest Non-Stop LAN Party.”
“This will be one of the most exciting gaming record attempts of the year. I’ve been really impressed with the enthusiasm of the NVISION team and I look forward to being the official adjudicator for this great event,” commented Gaz Deaves, records manager, Guinness World Records.
“I have faith and confidence in the NVIDIA gaming community, one of the most loyal, energetic, and enthusiastic core audiences of NVIDIA since we were a startup, ”said Sheryl Huang, NVIDIA marketing director and veteran of countless LAN events. “At NVIDIA events in the past, these guys have been up all night anyway. Their energy is incredible. I’m looking forward to them setting this record and earning a place in the Guinness Book of World Records. It’s glory time.”
The goal for the Guinness World Record is for a dedicated team of gamers to play video games continuously for 36 hours (10 minute breaks are allowed for every 60 minutes of continuous gaming). If the record is achieved, the participating team members will receive numerous prizes, including a commemorative medal, custom gear, gift cards, and of course, world recognition. The attempt will take place in a special, reserved section of the NVISION 08 GeForce LAN Party.
A flagship event at NVISION 08, the Guinness World Record attempt is made possible by the support of EVGA, the Marquee Sponsor of the NVISION 08 LAN Party, as well as Patriot Memory, an official NVISION 08 Sponsor.
Gamers who are serious about the attempt and have what it takes to handle a LAN Party Guinness World Record seat at NVISION 08 should go to http://www.amireg.com/nvision08/intro.html.
Crysis patch in two weeks, Performance to be improved (Yes!)
[Update] – Crytek has updated the status of their latest patch.
inCrysis, a Crysis fansite recently hosted an IRC interview with Cevat Yerli, CEO of Crytek and Roy Taylor, Vice President of Content Relations at NVIDIA. They’ve posted the transcript of the event at their site, which can be found here. While most of the stuff is technobabble, I did extract the following information from it:
- Crytek is currently collecting feedback information and will have a patch ready in 7-14 standard, human days.
- They are seeing improved performance with every driver and patch update, which is good thing. This also means that performance will be increased in upcoming patches and driver updates.
Some other things worth pointing out:
- Crysis is designed as part of a trilogy, so the abrupt ending of the singleplayer was very deliberate. That’s right – why make a spectacular story for one game when you can stretch it to fit three and make more money at the same time?
- Cevat says that if you want to get into the gaming industry, start making maps and mods and things. You’ll be noticed if you try hard enough. No guarantees here.
- Roy’s response to whether GPUs should handle advanced physics:
- Generally we believe that the GPU can stand by itself as a powerful processor more than capable of accelerating advanced physics for today’s and future games. The GPU lends itself well to scalable, violent or destructible physics. What we need is an industry standard API that developers and the community can get behind, that isn’t proprietary. Ideally the developer can then select the GPU or other processor as they see fit. We dont have one today, and this is something we are looking into.Specifically with regard to CryEngine 2 we are in discussions with the team about this but can’t add more right now.
- You should use NVIDIA for playing Crysis.
Check out the StuffWeLike.com review of Crysis.