I can’t believe I missed this! While I did get you the deal on what little info was found about Deus Ex 3, it looks like somebody got their hands on the actual magazine scans, which have been put up here. Okay, they’re not scans, they’re outright photos and pretty bad ones at that: most of the text seems to have been clipped out.
So we’ll have to do with the concept art/screenshots, and they are definitely some tasty eye candy. The Cyberpunk/Renaissance art design becomes visible here, though I think making NPCs wear 16-century-ish clothes is a little overkill. I love the environments, though.
Augmentations are a lot more “in your face” says the caption, and that they are. With what looks like direct prosthetics for your arms, you won’t find the subtlety of JC’s nanotechnology-enhanced augmentations. This goes with the story, since JC and Paul were the first test subjects in augmented agents.
The protagonist of Deus Ex 3, Adam Jensen appears to be an agent with mechanical mods, like Gunther Hermann or Anna Navarre from the original game. In any case, he looks pretty cyborg.As for the Biomods themselves, here’s what I found from the pages:
- Claymore: A last resort when facing unsurmountable odds, Jensen’s body can emit thousands of (clipped)
- Multi-Kill: When faced with multiple opponents, Jensen an unleash a combo of devastating martial (arts?) (clipped)
- Bungee Jumping: Hurl yourself off the edge of a building and tentacles will shoot out of your (clipped)
- Wall Punch: Can be used in conjunction with the visual augmentation (clipped)
Another bit of info that can be found is about Stealth and Hacking, both of which disappoint me greatly.
- Stealth is also receiving a major revamp and will now utilize cover more than shadow as its primary function., with a Metal Gear Solid-style cone of vision mechanic (available only through augmentation) used to ascertain an enemy’s field of view.
- Hacking is another area receiving a makeover, taking the form of RTS-style mini game in which you (vie with?) a (mainframe?) for the control of nodes (?) (clipped)
Okay, I’m totally not sure about this. An RTS-style mini game for hacking? You’ve got to be kidding me. I’m also not comfortable with replacing the shadow-based stealth mechanic from the previous two games. Deus Ex had handled stealth without making it too technical, I’m not sure if Deus Ex 3 will be able to do it.
All in all, I’m both impressed and disappointed. Still, since its Deus Ex, I won’t be missing it. 😉