And, believe it or not, some real details on what to expect.
Dead Space 2… hasn’t been much of a secret. While EA’s gung-ho attitude and investment towards Dead Space being a new IP implies that there’s a sequel to Dead Space, we had good knowledge of the game through the many hints that managed to leak out (or be leaked out forcefully, which is a gruesome thing to imagine).
Visceral Games has today formally announced the development of Dead Space 2, and while there’s no media about it yet, we do know what to expect on the overall:
- Isaac Clarke returns as protagonist, but not as a wimpy survivor. Isaac will be calling the shots this time round and taking the fight straight to the Necromorphs. So much for “survival” horror.
- Expect “new tools to gruesomely slice and dismember”, which I’m sure you were expecting any way – you can’t have Dead Space without innovative ways to commit forced amputation.
- New supporting characters (who will no doubt be killed off in increasingly original ways as the game progresses)
- Release for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 – the usual culprits.
- No release date announced, but I’m betting on a late 2010 release. And maybe early 2011 for the PC, because they all hate PC gamers like that.
As for the story? “The infection continues to spread throughout space and our hero Isaac Clarke is the only person able to contain it. There are still loads of Necromorphs that need killing. In Dead Space 2, not everything is exactly as it seems. Expect plot twists that will surprise you and a huge cast of twisted, disgusting monsters that are sure to scare the daylights out of you.”
I think that’s a very succint and intelligent way of putting forward the game’s rather intelligent storyline. Loads of Necromorphs that need killing, yes, duly noted. Nothing is exactly as it seems… you mean we’re taking a break from last game’s idea of a creepy spaceship turning out to be a… creepy spaceship? And plot twists too?!
Oh well, cynical or not, it’s bound to be at least as fun as the original game was. Hope they fix the darned controls on the PC this time around. And you know, make some Necromorph plush toys as merchandise. I want that tentacle-head to sleep with me every night. Don’t you? What’s your take on this?